ROCKY MOUNT, NC (WTVD) — The trial of the accused in a Nash County deputy was shot ended in a trial Wednesday due to a hung jury.
Jared Javon Ford was on trial in connection with a shootout with deputies following a traffic stop on February 4, 2021.
However, because Ford was previously convicted of federal charges, he remains behind bars, the Nash County Sheriff’s Office told ABC11.
Nash County Sheriff Keith Stone said at the time that Ford shot Deputy William Toney multiple times.
The incident began when Deputy Shelby Smith stopped a vehicle with Florida tags for “speeding” on Interstate 95 near Rocky Mount and suspected “criminal activity.” Smith ordered the driver from St. Petersburg, Florida, named Ford, to get out of the car.
After Toney arrived at the scene, “Mr. Ford brandished a firearm, pulled it from his body” and began shooting at Toney, striking him several times, Stone said at the time.
WATCH: Sheriff Stone’s full briefing on the case
Smith returned fire and Ford fled into a ditch, where he lost his weapon and was eventually taken into custody.
Both Tony and Ford were hospitalized and both underwent surgery before recovering.
Ford has a long criminal record and was driving with a suspended license. The district attorney must decide whether to retry the case, the sheriff’s office said.
NOTE: Video from previous report
Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All rights reserved.
Trial of Jared Ford | A trial has been set for the shooting of a Nash County deputy on I-95
Source link Trial of Jared Ford | A trial has been set for the shooting of a Nash County deputy on I-95