You probably know someone whose Facebook account has been hacked. One would think that such a large and powerful company as Meta would be better at preventing such things, but this is too often.
Hackers are seizing social media accounts to spread malware, steal personal and financial information and spread lies. And the problem is that you may not even know that your account has been compromised until it’s too late. Click or click here to pay attention to the warning signs.
A hacker who accesses one of your accounts can use it to do harm elsewhere. That’s why we recommend using unique logins with strong passwords in your accounts. A security researcher was able to steal Facebook accounts when users logged in with their Gmail credentials.
Here is the background
Are you logged in to your Facebook account using Gmail? We warned you about using the same account for multiple sign-ins, and here’s a prime example of why you shouldn’t.
Security researcher Yousef Sammuda showed that the threat subject could seize a Facebook account after stealing the OAuth id_token / Gmail code used to log in to Facebook.
OAuth is a shared authentication database that allows you to grant limited access from one application to another. You see this when you use your Facebook or Gmail account to sign in to other accounts. You can access this account without providing it with login credentials.
Sammouda was able to connect several bugs using Google OAuth to exploit a number of Facebook vulnerabilities. “We are logging the user out of his Facebook account, we are forcing him to log into the attacker’s Facebook account,” Sammuda said. Daily Swig.
Sammuda reported Meta’s mistakes on February 16, and the company fixed the problem on March 21. Meta paid Sammud a reward for a mistake of $ 44,625 for his work.
Reduce your chances of being hacked
Use unique logins and passwords for your accounts. This may seem like a pain, but password managers simplify the process by creating and saving login information for all your devices and accounts.
Password managers can be installed as software or accessed through a website, browser extension or cloud. Click or click here to get everything you need to know about password managers.
Make sure your email address / number and password are securely stored. Set up an email address or recovery number in case your account is hacked.
To add a second email address to your Facebook account on your PC:
- Click the down arrow in the upper right corner.
- Go to Settings and privacy> Settings.
- Choose Account settings from the left pane and click Edit next to Contact.
- Choose Add another email or cell phone number.
- Enter the email address or phone number you have access to and press Done.
- Atp Add your phone number? to add and confirm the number.
To add a second email address to your Facebook / iPhone account:
- Open the Facebook app and tap gear icon in the upper right corner.
- Click Personal informationthen Contact information.
- Click Add a phone number or Add an email address and enter the information, then confirm.
Follow these steps to increase your cybersecurity in all of your accounts:
- For better security, use two-factor authentication (2FA) if available. Click here for details on 2FA.
- Update your operating systems, programs and devices with the latest official software and fixes.
- Always update and run a reliable antivirus program on all your devices. We recommend our sponsor, TotalAV. Get an annual plan with TotalAV right now for just $ 19 ProtectWithKim.com. That’s over 85% off the regular price!
Do you use Gmail to sign in to Facebook? You risk being hacked
Source link Do you use Gmail to sign in to Facebook? You risk being hacked